- Visiting Us
- Our Range
- Virtual Tour
Peat Sourcing and Reduction Policy
It is the policy of the Directors of Aylett Nurseries Limited to ensure that the peat used in UK growing media products causes the minimum environmental impact.
To achieve this all bagged growing media will be sourced from suppliers certificated to the British Ornamental Plant Producers (BOPP) Growing Media Producers Standard or equivalent, as follows :-
- Peat should only be extracted from legally approved peatland sites that are not designated as a SSSI or are not from sites of recognisable ecological, archaeological or other conservation value (worldwide); this includes all areas that have been designated under the relevant national or international regulatory regime from the country from which the peat is sourced.
- Peat is extracted only from sites with an agreed environmentally sound and socially responsible after-use plan. Planning consents may have their own specific requirements for restoration/after-use that the peat extractor has to comply with.
- Peat is extracted only from sites operated in such a way as to protect un-worked adjacent peat areas and maintain water tables to enable them to act as refuge for peatland flora and fauna.
- Sites are operated in such a way as to leave a sufficient layer or ombotrophic peat (raised or blanket bogs that receive all water and nutrients from direct precipitation) to facilitate the re-establishment of bog flora and fauna.
- Peat should be sourced from named bogs to allow traceability and should not be sourced from any peat concessions opened since 2004.Date: March 2010, reviewed June 2011,May 2012, May 2013, March 2014, March 2015, March 2016 and July 2017.
Click here to download our Peat Leaflet.