- Visiting Us
- Online Shop
- Bird Care & Wildlife
- Compost & Fertilisers
- Garden Essentials
- Garden Gloves
- Home Composting
- Lawn Care
- Tools & Machinery
- Winter Products
- Gifts & Gift Vouchers
- Indoor Plants & Care
- Outdoor Living
- Seeds & Bulbs
- Our Range
- Plant Finder
- Coffee House
- Contact Us
Peat Sourcing and Reduction Policy
It is the policy of the Directors of Aylett Nurseries Limited to ensure that the peat used in UK growing media products causes the minimum environmental impact.
To achieve this all bagged growing media will be sourced from suppliers certificated to the British Ornamental Plant Producers (BOPP) Growing Media Producers Standard or comply with the sourcing policy, as follows :-
- Peat should only be extracted from legally approved peatland sites that are not designated as a SSSI or are not from sites of recognisable ecological, archaeological or other conservation value (worldwide); this includes all areas that have been designated under the relevant national or international regulatory regime from the country from which the peat is sourced.
- Peat is extracted only from sites with an agreed environmentally sound and socially responsible after-use plan. Planning consents may have their own specific requirements for restoration/after-use that the peat extractor has to comply with.
- Peat is extracted only from sites operated in such a way as to protect unworked adjacent peat areas and maintain water tables to enable them to act as refuge for peatland flora and fauna.
- Peat should be sourced from named bogs to allow traceability and should not be sourced from any peat concessions opened since 2004.
Aylett Nurseries Ltd is committed to ongoing improvements in peat reduction.
Where possible we will:
- label bags and/or associated point of sale so the consumer can see the peat content of the product they are purchasing
- provide alternative products of the right quality and consistency
- provide information so that consumers improve their knowledge of peat alternatives
- where possible offer peat-free and peat reduced products at the same price as peat based mixes.
It is also acknowledged that further evidence is required to demonstrate the environmental credentials of alternative products such as bark,coir,processed wood, composted green material, vermiculite;etc to ensure that peat replacement brings about genuine and worthwhile environmental benefits.
Date: November 2018